Penzance bodybuilder in hospital after ‘drink spiking’ incident
An teenage bodybuilder ended up in hospital after apparently having his drink spiked in Penzance on a night out with friends on Friday.
Adam Bardgett, 18, was at the UP Bar in Penzance when he downed his drink to move onto a local nightclub and immediately started to feel unwell.
Mum Theresa Jenkin said the teenager, who hardly ever drinks, took himself up to hospital, where they found his heart rate had gone through the roof and he was admitted overnight.
She believes he is the latest victim of a worrying spate of drink spiking incidents in Cornwall in recent weeks, which have resulted in at least three people ending up in hospital.
In a post on Facebook which has been shared hundreds of times, Theresa Jenkin wrote: “My son has spent all night in hospital after having his drink spiked in Penzance.
“His heart rate was through the roof. They wanted to keep him in but he wanted to be home in his own bed. He’s still not 100%. PLEASE DONT EVER LEAVE YOUR DRINKS UNATTENDED!!!”
Ms Jenkin later spoke to Cornwall Live. She said: “Adam rarely drinks, he’s very health conscious. I’m so angry about the whole thing,and people need to be aware.
“He downed his drink before leaving to go Rumours, it was then that he started to feel unwell.
“He took himself up to hospital, and his heart rate was through the roof and had a high temperature. He had bloods taken and was asked if had taken anything, which he hadn’t.
“They said he’d more than likely been spiked. He was very lucky, but it sickens me that someone is doing this.
“It’s like playing Russian roulette with someone’s life, as it could be someone with health problems or a bad heart next time!
“It’s not funny it’s pure stupidity, he’s had plenty of rest, I’d like to thank all the kind messages asking after Adam, and the shares of my post to get awareness out there.”
Drink spiking incidents in Cornwall in 2018
Falmouth student has drink spiked at Freshers’ party
A Falmouth University student ended up in intensive care after her drink was spiked at a freshers party. Mimi Walter spent the night in an ambulance before being taken to the critical care unit at Royal Cornwall Hospital after being taken ill on Friday, September 23. The 19-year-old who was found alone in a nightclub bathroom said she had only had two gin and tonics at her flat before she went to the event.
Mum’s behaviour completely changed
Mum Kim Eaton, 32, was put in a taxi and taken home after her behaviour suddenly changed on a night out in Newquay. Her husband called a paramedic who then ferried her to the Royal Cornwall Hospital where she spent the night.
She said: “I had a few drinks at my friend’s house then we went into Newquay, to the Cribbar and then the Sailors bar bit. I can’t remember how many vodka lime and sodas I drank but my friend said I just completely changed in character. My husband said I got home at about 12.30am and my behaviour was bizarre. It’s like I wasn’t in my body.
“I was being sick, crawling around the bed, clapping and making silly noises. My teeth were chattering and I was going from hot to cold. Stripping off and then putting clothes on. It was a horrible feeling.”
Teenager finds blue pill in her glass
Teenager Zyi Granger, 19, said she found a blue pill at the bottom of her glass while out in Penzance. She said she left her vodka and lemonade unattended for less than a minute. She took a small sip of her drink after picking it up but didn’t notice anything was wrong until she spotted the pill in her glass when she was in the toilet.
She said she fears there is major problem with spiking in Penzance. She added: “I was talking to a couple of friends and this happens often in Penzance. My friend got spiked last weekend. My mum has been spiked, another friend has been spiked with LSD.”
Mum collapsed at a pub in Charlestown
A mother collapsed at a pub in Charlestown , near St Austell while out with friends Speaking to BBC Radio Cornwall, a friend of the woman described how they were sharing a bottle of Prosecco, although they had not been drinking to excess.
Caitlin Dean, a nurse from Lanlivery, said: “We were just minding our own business and were drinking shared bottles of Prosecco. We had not had a huge amount. We were just four mum chatting and having some time off from the kids.
“My friend went from being absolutely fine and chatting about stuff to being really unwell. She said she was feeling sick and really started swaying on her feet. She could barely walk and went completely grey and sweating.”
Police warning over drink spikings
Police have recently issued a warning following a spate of spiking incidents across Devon and Cornwall.
There were 76 incidents in 2017 – almost double the 39 in 2016 and 19 times as many as 2015, when there were four.
Police say they are looking into the cause of the increase and urged people to “remain vigilant”.
Sgt Dave Moore said the figures for Devon and Cornwall reflected “what appears to be a trend nationally where these types of incidents are on the increase”.
The force is launching a pilot scheme in Plymouth – which had the most reports in the region – to help obtain a “clearer picture of what is happening”.
Officers will work closely with bars and clubs including supplying them with urine testing kits “to allow officers who are attending a report of spiking to gather evidence at an early stage”.
How to stop your drink from being spiked
If your drink has been spiked, it’s unlikely that you will see, smell or taste any difference. Some drugs, such as GHB, may taste slightly salty or smell unusual.
If you start to feel strange or drunk than you should be get help immediately.
The following steps may help prevent drink spiking:
- Never leave your drink unattended and keep an eye on your friends’ drinks.
- Don’t accept a drink from someone you don’t know.
- Consider sticking to bottled drinks and avoiding punch bowls or jugs of cocktails.
- Don’t give out your address to someone you’ve just met.
- If you think your drink has been tampered with, don’t drink it – tell a trusted friend or relative immediately.
- Before going out, let someone know where you’re going and what time you expect to be home.
- Make plans for your journey home.
- Avoid taking expensive equipment with you or anything that could be a target for thieves.
Some bars provide plastic stopper devices, such as lids to put on bottles, which can reduce the risk of your drink being spiked.
However, these stoppers won’t stop you consuming a drink that has been spiked with additional alcohol.
What to do if you think your drink has been spiked
First, tell someone you completely trust, such as:
- a close friend
- a relative
- a medical professional
- the police
If you aren’t with anyone, call someone you trust and get to a safe place. Ask to use a phone if yours has been stolen.
If you need urgent help, call 999. Be wary of accepting help from a stranger or a newly made acquaintance and don’t leave with someone you don’t know.
If you feel unwell, someone you trust should take you to your nearest accident and emergency department (A&E). Tell the medical staff that you think your drink has been spiked.
Arrange for a trusted friend or relative to take you home and stay with you until the drugs have fully left your system.
Report it to the police as soon as you can. They may ask you to provide blood and urine samples.
Most drugs leave the body within 72 hours of being taken (the date rape drug GHB leaves the body within 12 hours), so it’s important to be tested as soon as possible.