Legs and Arms Strength Workout: Spring Fitness Challenge – Day 18
You’ve done all of the moves in today’s workout at least once before during this challenge—so no surprises here. Challenge yourself today by trying to move a bit faster or adding in another round. If you’ve been three rounds up to this point, try doing four today. Likewise, if you’re really looking to up the ante, add another minute to the EMOM finisher at the end of this workout. We promise you’ll be feeling it tomorrow.
Don’t forget to kick things off with an easy warm-up, like these three dynamic stretches.
Do each move below for 45 seconds, resting 15 seconds between moves. At the end of each circuit, rest for 60 seconds. Do the entire circuit 2-5 times, then try the EMOM (Every Minute on the Minute).
x 45 seconds alternating sides
- Stand with feet hip-width apart, core engaged, and hands on hips.
- Step back with right foot and drop into a reverse lunge, bending both knees to 90 degrees and allowing your right knee to rest on the floor, so you’re on bended knee.
- Now step the left foot back to meet the right so you are kneeling on both knees on the floor. Use core to stabilize, and try to keep hands on hips throughout.
- Step forward with the right foot first so you are kneeling on one knee again. Rise into a lunge, and step left foot to meet right to come into a low squat.
- If you can, try to avoid standing up all the way again. Instead, stay in the low squat and immediately step back with your left foot for the next rep. Continue to alternate sides each time.
Front Raise Hold to Lateral Raise
x 45 seconds on each side
- You’ll need 2 dumbbells for this move. We suggest using something lighter than you normally would, 3 to 8 lbs.
- Holding a weight in each hand, raise both arms in front of you to chest height. You’ll hold the left arm still for 45 seconds (a static hold).
- Bring your right hand out to your right side.
x 45 seconds
- Start in a high plank position, with your core engaged, wrists directly under shoulders, legs extended behind you, and neck relaxed.
- Lift right foot and bring right knee to tap right triceps.
- Return to starting position, then repeat on the other side, bringing left knee to left triceps.
- Continue to alternate sides for 45 seconds.
x 45 seconds
- You’ll need 2 dumbbells for this exercise. Stand with feet shoulder width apart, core engaged, holding a dumbbell in each hand.
- Step back with your right foot and bend both knees to sink into a lunge. Keep your core engaged, hips tucked, and back straight.
- Return to starting position by pushing off right foot and stepping forward.
- Repeat on the other side. Continue to alternate sides.
Forearm Plank Hold
x 45 seconds
- Place your forearms on the floor, elbows directly underneath your shoulders, hands facing forward so that your arms are parallel.
- Extend your legs behind you, feet hip-width apart.
- Tuck your tailbone and engage your core, butt, and quads.
- Hold for 45 seconds.
At the end of the circuit, rest for 60-90 seconds. Do the entire circuit 2-5 times, then try the EMOM to finish.
EMOM (Every Minute on the Minute)
Do the indicated number of reps below in under 60 seconds. If you have time left over, rest. At the top of the next minute, start again. Repeat for 4 minutes.
Toe Touch Crunch
x 20 reps
- Lie faceup with your legs extended straight up to the ceiling, feet flexed.
- Crunch up, reaching your fingertips toward your flexed toes. Engage your core and focus on keeping your low back pressed into the floor (you’re not lifting your hips, you’re only lifting your shoulders and upper back off the floor).
- Return to starting position and repeat, leaving legs in the same place throughout the move.
x 20 reps
- Start in a forearm plank, with elbows directly under shoulders, forearms parallel, core, glutes and legs engaged.
- Rock hips to the right, and think about bringing your right hip to tap the floor (your hip may not actually tap the floor, which is fine!).
- Now rock to the other side, bringing left hip toward the floor.
- Continue to rock side to side, keeping hips and core stable. Each side equals 1 rep.
Top image: Photographer: Nadya Wasylko. Stylist: Yuiko Ikebata. Hair: Jerome Cultera. Makeup: Seong Hee. Prop Stylist: Alex Brannian. Athlete Mirinda Carfrae wears swim cap, goggles, and trisuit all by TYR, similar styles at tyr.com.
Workout images and gifs: Photographer: Alexandra Genova. Stylist: Yuiko Ikebata. Hair: Jerome Cultera. Makeup: Deanna Melluso. (workout images) Athlete Mirinda Carfrae wears Outdoor Voices Zip Bra, $75, outdoorvoices.com; Champion Women’s Fashion, $33, champion.com; 7/8 Fashion Tights; Hoka One One Elevon shoes, $160, hokaoneone.com. (gifs) Outdoor Voices Doing Things Bra, $65, outdoorvoices.com; 7/8 Flex Leggings, $75, outdoorvoices.com, Hoka One One Gaviota Leather, $160, hokaoneone.com.
All products featured on SELF are independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our retail links, we may earn an affiliate commission.