Carbon monoxide poisoning WARNING: Dr Chris reveals six symptoms you should NEVER ignore

Carbon monoxide is an invisible poisonous gas – you can’t see it, it has no smell and no taste.

Many household appliances can be the cause of a carbon monoxide leak, such as boilers, gas fired, central heating systems and cookers.

Breathing in small doses can make you ill, but in larger doses it has the potential to kill.

Once carbon monoxide enters your blood stream, it stops blood being ale to carry oxygen.

A lack of oxygen in the body causes the body’s cells and tissue to die.

TV doctor Dr Chris Steele appeared on ITV‘s This Morning and said if your boiler in your home has been fitted by a gas engineer, and if it’s been serviced every year, there’s usually nothing to worry about.

But he added: “In a lot of houses, these things do not apply.”

So what symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning do you need to be wary of?

Dr Chris listed the following symptoms for low level carbon monoxide inhalation:

  • Headaches
  • Nausea
  • Dizziness
  • Tiredness
  • Poor concentration
  • Aches and pains

He said: “These are non-specific, vague symptoms.”

If these symptoms aren’t obvious, other sings of carbon monoxide problems in your home are if flames on appliances are yellow or orange rather than blue, if the sides of appliances of surfaces by appliances are covered in soot, and if the pilot light keeps going off.

Homes owned by landlords, particularly students homes, have the biggest risk of carbon monoxide poisoning, according to Dr Chris.

The best and safest way to prevent carbon monoxide poisoning happening is to have your boiler correctly fitted, have a safety check carried out by a registered engineer, and investing in a carbon monoxide alarm.

Recent figures reveal 90 per cent of homes have smoke alarm, but only 30 per cent have carbon monoxide detectors.

Preferably, place your carbon monoxide alarm high up and make sure it bears the British Kitemark – a UK product and service quality certification mark which is owned and operated by The British Standards Institution.

If you suspect carbon monoxide poisoning in your home, Dr Chris advises to open the windows and doors of your home.

You should also get out of the building and go see your GP.

Prolonged significant exposure to carbon monoxide can cause serious complications, including brain damage and heart problems.

In very severe case it can result in death.

Symptoms of severe carbon monoxide poisoning to be aware of, according to the NHS, include:

  • Breathlessness
  • Chest pains
  • Seizures (fits)
  • Loss of consciousness

Last month, Dr Chris revealed on This Morning how to get rid of a cold sore

Original »