Mom warns others after her 19-month-old son is rushed to the ER for drinking a few drops of baby oil

A mother is warning others about the dangers of baby oil after her toddler son swallowed ‘a little bit’ and was sent to the ER. 

Two weeks ago, JennaJoy Ingraham’s 19-month-old son Graysen followed his father, Casey, into the bathroom while he was taking a shower.

The toddler picked up a bottle of baby oil that was lying on the counter and swallowed a gulp of it.

After Graysen became lethargic and unresponsive, the Ingrahams, of Spokane, Washington, rushed their son to the hospital where doctors told them he had swallowed a substance as dangerous as gasoline.

JennaJoy shared the terrifying ordeal with PEOPLE and says she wants to warn other mothers and fathers about ‘how dangerous an old nursery staple could be’.  

Graysen Ingraham, 19  months old, of Spokane, Washington, swallowed baby oil from a bottle lying on the counter two weeks ago. Pictured: JennaJoy with Grayson and Bryten, three

His parents thought he swallowed a 'little bit' so they said they weren't concerned. Pictured: JennaJoy and Casey with Graysen and Bryten

Graysen Ingraham, 19 months old, of Spokane, Washington, swallowed baby oil from a bottle lying on the counter two weeks ago. His parents thought he swallowed a ‘little bit’ so they said they weren’t concerned. Pictured: JennaJoy with Grayson and Bryten, three, left; and JennaJoy and Casey with Graysen and Bryten

Later in the evening, the toddler became acting lethargic and falling in and out of sleep. Poison Control urged the pair to take Graysen to the hospital. Pictured: JennaJoy and Casey with Graysen and Bryten

Later in the evening, the toddler became acting lethargic and falling in and out of sleep. Poison Control urged the pair to take Graysen to the hospital. Pictured: JennaJoy and Casey with Graysen and Bryten

‘When Casey was taking a shower he heard Graysen cough,’ JennaJoy, 30, told PEOPLE.

‘That’s when he looked out and saw Graysen putting the baby oil bottle back on the counter and making a yucky face.’

The couple thought their son had only swallowed ‘little bit’ and therefore didn’t think there was cause for concern.

Later in the evening, the toddler became acting lethargic, was slow to respond to his parents and falling in and out of sleep. 

After calling the on-call nurse of their pediatrician, the nurse advised them to call Poison Control. 

The Poison Control operator advised the parents to take Graysen to the emergency room.

‘I was horrifically scared. I was confused,’ JennaJoy said. 

‘I started to panic because I didn’t realize [baby oil] was such poison. We put it on our kids, it’s specifically made for children.’ 

Baby oil is a hydrocarbon similar to gasoline, lighter fluid, kerosene, motor oil and some kinds of furniture polish, according to the National Capital Poison Center.

It is made up of about 98 percent mineral oil and two percent fragrance and can be dangerous if it breathed into the lungs.

The Center’s website states: ‘Poison Control often receives calls about toddlers who drank baby oil…Each child has to be observed very carefully for signs of aspiration, that is, hydrocarbons going down into their lungs.’

Hydrocarbon aspiration can cause coughing, choking, and fever. In some cases, it can lead to pneumonia and even death. 

Doctors told Casey and JennaJoy that baby oil is a hydrocarbon similar to gasoline and lighter fluid and that if it is breathed into the lungs, it can lead to death. Pictured: Casey and JennaJoy with Graysen

Doctors told Casey and JennaJoy that baby oil is a hydrocarbon similar to gasoline and lighter fluid and that if it is breathed into the lungs, it can lead to death. Pictured: Casey and JennaJoy with Graysen

The toddler recovered and JennaJoy wrote a post on Facebook warning other parents about the danger of the common household item. Pictured: Casey holding Graysen and JennaJoy holding Bryten

The toddler recovered and JennaJoy wrote a post on Facebook warning other parents about the danger of the common household item. Pictured: Casey holding Graysen and JennaJoy holding Bryten

JennaJoy stayed home with their three-year-old son, Bryten, while Casey took Graysen to the hospital.

Tests and X-rays of Graysen’s lungs came back healthy, but doctors said there was more danger in swallowing baby oil than the Ingrahams previously believed. 

‘Doctors said it was the equivalent of you or I drinking gasoline. It could have gotten into his lungs and if it had gotten into his lungs we could have had real problems,’ JennaJoy told PEOPLE. 

‘It wasn’t if he ingested it that was the problem, but more if he inhaled it.’

After the 24-hour mark had passed, the worst of the danger was over.

On Wednesday, JennaJoy took to Facebook to warn other parents about the danger of ‘something so many people have laying around their household’.  

The post was shared more than 121,000 times and has more than 26,000 reactions.  

JennaJoy told PEOPLE she’s since thrown away all the baby oil in the house and plans to research other potential dangers that may be lurking around.  

‘I really feel the need to spread the word of how dangerous that little bottle all new Mommies get at their baby shower or have next to the bath or changing table actually can be,’ she wrote on Facebook. 

Original »

Comments
Loading...