Pollen count: What is the count today? Eating this spice could reduce hay fever symptoms
The pollen count in most of England today has been forecast by the Met Office to be moderate. In the North East of England and the East of England the pollen count has been forecast to be high, Northern Ireland is set to see moderate counts, and most of Scotland should experience low counts. While some hay fever sufferers will see a significant reduction in symptoms today, for others, symptoms will be at an all time high. Antihistamines and nasal sprays are recommended treatments for hay fever but don’t always help everyone.
Some people find relief from symptoms with the help of natural remedies.
One natural remedy which has been found to help allergies is turmeric.
Turmeric contains anti-allergic and natural decongestant properties.
One study found it suppressed allergic reactions.
Although turmeric’s effects on seasonal allergies haven’t been studied extensively in humans, animal studies have shown promise.
Another study showed treating mice with turmeric reduced their allergic response.
Alongside receiving allergies, turmeric has been found to hold a host of benefits.
It can reduce inflammation, support joints and ease digestion problems.
There is no reference nutrient intake (RNI) for turmeric so you should make sure not to exceed the dosage stated on any label.
There is a RNI for curcumin, which is found in turmeric.
The World Health Organisation says up can have up to 3mg per kg of bodyweight of curcuminoids, which includes curcumin.
There’s currently no cure for hay fever, but the NHS also offers some treatments to help reduce symptoms.
- Put Vaseline around your nostrils to trap pollen
- Wear wraparound sunglasses to stop pollen getting into your eyes
- Shower and change your clothes after you have been outside to wash pollen off
- Stay indoors whenever possible
- Keep windows and doors shut as much as possible
- Vacuum regularly and dust with a damp cloth
- Buy a pollen filter for the air vents in your car and a vacuum cleaner with a special HEPA filter
The health body says you should avoid:
- Cutting grass or walking on grass
- Not spending too much time outside
- Not keeping fresh flowers in the house
- Not smoking or being around smoke as it can make symptoms worse
- Not drying clothes outside as they can catch pollen
- Not letting pets into the house if possible as they can carry pollen indoors
Your local pharmacist will also be able to advise on the best treatment for hay fever symptoms.