Povetkin Open to Possible Fight vs Whyte

Despite undergoing surgery last month to fix injuries to both his elbows, former heavyweight title challenger Alexander Povetkin is already looking at options for a return to the ring.

Povetkin last competed back on Sept. 22 at Wembley Stadium, getting knocked out in a title fight against WBA/IBF/WBO/IBO Heavyweight Champion Anthony Joshua. It was Povetkin’s first professional loss via KO/TKO and his second loss as a pro altogether. His first came in a decision loss to Wladimir Klitschko in another title shot.

“I’m already physically fine [after the operation],” Povetkin said. “I’m running, jumping. And slowly I’ve started to work with my hands. I think everything will be fine soon.”

Povetkin is aiming for one or two more fights before calling it a career. His next contest may take place in April, back at Wembley Stadium on the same card Joshua is expected to next fight on.

One of Joshua’s possible opponents is Dillian Whyte, who knocked out Dereck Chisora in the 11th round of their rematch held on Dec. 22. But if Whyte doesn’t challenge Joshua on that April card, Povetkin embraces the chance to face the 30-year-old British heavyweight.

“Of course, I would like a fight with Whyte to take place. Let’s see how everything will turn out,” Povetkin said. “Everything does not depend on me.”

Original Story: Boxing Scene

Original »

Comments
Loading...